Ruthie turned 7 months old on Monday! Each month I think I am enjoying the absolute BEST time in the first year... but then I get to the next month! We have so enjoyed her 6th month as she has continued to develop her own little personality and responds to us so automatically now! It's so hard to believe that she is already this old. Time is totally flying! Our life completely changed once she was born, yet we both simply can not imagine life without our little Ruthie Grace! Here is a little of what she accomplished during her 6th month!
* Rolled over from her back to her tummy. Ruthie didn't like playing on her tummy, so she took her own sweet time rolling over in that direction. I guess she figured... why make the effort if I don't want to be on my tummy anyway! It took her several days to figure out that rolling over + rolling over= going somewhere... and is now quite accomplished at rolling around the room. She doesn't venture too far off her blanket though...
* She gives the BEST hugs! Especially when she wakes up in the morning. It is absolutely the cutest and sweetest thing!
* She is progressing nicely with her juice cup. She understands what it's for and what to do with it (ie put it in her mouth and suck) and is getting better and better at it. She drank a couple of ounces at one sitting last night! She still doesn't like to hold it herself and drink. She'll get it up to her mouth and chew on it, but hasn't quite gotten it to tip all the way on her own yet.
* She is using her lips to take in food off of the spoon. No more gently scraping the cereal on her gums to get it in her mouth! And she moves that food around in her mouth with her tongue.
* She was introduced to squash, peas, and apricots this month. She doesn't quite like the peas yet. Although it usually takes a week or two before she eats up a new food with gusto! When she doesn't like it she just holds it in her mouth and it gets all liquidy. We have resorted to popping in the binkie to get her to swallow her food so she doesn't choke. She is also a master at the gag thing. Oh, she's going to be so much fun at age 2!
* She is also developing in her vocal sounds! She has mastered the Ba, Ya, t, s, th, and z sounds! (of course, Da is old hat!) She strings several of her favorite sounds together and just talks up a storm. I wonder where she gets that from! Also, she likes to whisper sounds to. Depending on her mood, sometimes you can hardly hear all the talking that is going on!
* We have become creative and now have 2 additional binkies in her crib with her at all times. This way when she's wanting one in the middle of the night, she can find it and put it in her mouth without waking up! (and without waking us up!) and it is working. We marvel at how her tiny fingers can manipulate that binkie and get it in all the time. (And while asleep too!)
* She is starting to hide her face in a shoulder when she is shy. She looks and smiles at someone new and then hides her face in her hands on a shoulder. It kills me it is so cute!
* She is also starting to show preference for particular people and also telling you when she wants you by holding out her hands and just looking at you with puppy dog eyes. She is the best baby. In church, we still keep her in service because she nearly sleeps through it all. But, when she's awake she plays quietly on the chairs next to us, or we hold her and she just watches all the people who sit behind us. (Those lucky dogs who sit behind us!) She has started to play the mommy-daddy-mommy game in church. Where she wants to go to whoever is not holding her at the time. Back and forth between mommy and daddy until daddy puts the kibosh on the game for fear of distracting those adoring fans who sit behind us. I think it is so cute to see her show what she wants and communicate with us.
*She does this cutest little leg lift when she's nursing. Usually when her right leg is on top she lifts her right leg totally up and to the side as if she's doing the splits in the air. She waves it around and then brings it down again. Over and over while she's nursing away. When her tummy's a little full she pulls away and looks around the room and talks to whoever is there (the dog, grandma, or Daddy...) and then turns back and nurses some more. She is such a happy baby!
*She is trying to army crawl. She moves her arms and legs in the right direction and motion, but doesn't move her body any yet. I guess she's not strong enough... but I see my time getting busier and busier...
* She started sleeping on her side. (which we think is the most precious thing) and then a couple of nights ago, she turned all the way on her tummy in her sleep. At first I was a little scared... you know the whole "back to sleep" thing... but I quickly realized there wasn't much we could do if she wanted to sleep on her tummy, she could! What a big girl!!
* Speaking of being a big girl, she got her BIG GIRL car seat for Valentines day!! She was so excited to sit in it. It is soft, comfy, and will hold up to 65 pounds. (which should be quite a while seeing that she is only 15 pounds now!)
Here are a few pictures from this past month to enjoy!
Sitting up in Daddy's chair
Sweet Pea sleeping on her side... the picture didn't even wake her up!
This one is for my bff Holly and her mom Joy who made this quilt for Ruthie. They have been dying to see her tug on the flower petals as that was the intended activity when they made this quilt for her before she was born. I thought it was too pretty to be subjected to the drool and spit up that would inevitably make its way onto the quilt- plus, what if she pulled a flower right off. They assured me the quilt is washable and comes with repairs if needed! :)
Her big girl carseat!